Monday, December 14, 2009

The Places In Between by Rory Stewart



Paperback, 299 pgs, Pub May 8th 2006 by Mariner Books (first published 2004), ISBN13: 9780156031561, Lit Awards: Guardian First Book Award Nominee (2004), John Llewellyn Rhys Prize Nominee (2004), The Royal Society of Literature Ondaatje Prize (2005)

I had access to a hard copy of this book as I listened to Rory read it on CD. I am completely in awe of his heroic walk through the mountains from Herat to Kabul in war-torn Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban government in 2002. I learned more from his journey than from many other things I have read about Afghanistan, excepting perhaps Didier Lefèvre's book The Photographer, which is a excellent visual accompaniment to this volume.

Stewart managed to distill the thousands of interactions he experienced on his month-long walk into revealing vignettes that amuse, instruct, terrify, and sadden us. That he developed a deep and abiding respect for Afghanistan and it's people is obvious and infectious. I was pleased to learn of his return to Kabul, and of his role as Executive Director the Turquoise Mountain Foundation of Kabul. I'd give much to be there with him.

An NPR story in June 2010 gives us some information on the movements and present thoughts of Rory Stewart.



No comments:

Post a Comment